We were keen for a glass (or two) of our Pinot Gris tonight and happened upon Betel Leaves at Frewville Foodland (voted best supermarket in the World for good reason!). This recipe is a perfect entrée for your next dinner party and it goes beautifully with our Ghost Wines Clare Valley Pinot Gris (one of our most popular wines!).
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 4 eschalots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps. coriander roots, finely chopped
- 2 large, red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsps rice wine
- 250g minced pork (or could use chicken)
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs palm sugar
- 2 tbsps grated ginger
- 2 tbsps roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 3 tbsps mix of Vietnamese mint leaves, lemon basil leaves and coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Betel leaves
- Lime wedges, finely chopped roasted peanuts and finely chopped garlic chives to serve
- Heat peanut oil in a wok and fry eschalots, garlic, coriander roots, chilli and rice wine until slightly brown. Add pork and fry until the meat is opaque, breaking up lumps. Add fish sauce, tamari and palm sugar and cook under mixture is sticky. Stir in ginger, peanuts and mixed herbs.
- Lay betel leaves out on platter, top with mixture, sprinkle additional roasted peanuts and garlic chives. Serve with lime wedges and Ghost Wines Clare Valley Pinot Gris!